Falling Through Ceilings

Because sometimes 140 characters on Twitter just isn't enough.

Thursday, 17 January 2008

Hey look

In a moment of boredom and procrastination, I decided to google around and see what tips and tricks I could find about DofE Expeditions. And then I thought, wouldn't it be nice to share my newfound knowldge with the world? After a brief agreement with myself, I opened up blogger and here I am. Copying and pasting what I found. Take a look:

- When stopping for a quick rest, remember to drink water, or even Lucozade. Avoid fizzy drinks, they won't do you any favours. For a longer rest, cram some dry roasted peanuts down your throat. These things are excellent to eat as they have an absolutely huge energy content and don’t make your throat too dry. They are full of carbohydrates, which are slow release sugars so it keeps you perky for longer, rather than sugary snacks. Remember that you will need a good swig of water afterwards, however, so make sure there's still a fair bit in your water bottle first.

- When you cook at night, cook an extra billy of water to boiling whilst you eat, put carefully into a thermos then in the morning you have hot water to wash/make a coffee even before you get the stove going... makes life way more hospitable!

- To help avoid blisters, soak your feet in hot water and salt a few days before the expedition to harden your skin.

- Resealable freezer bags are amazingly good.

- The best hour to leave you camp and start walking is around 9 am, so get up around 7 am to have enough time to wash, eat and pack up.

- (Vanilla) Fudge. Super Noodles. Packet Tuna (NOT in tinned).

- Try using powdered milk in hot chocolate, because it uses less weight. Not everyone likes it though.

- In Welsh summers, you will see the grass snakes come out to play. But don't worry, they're not dangerous.

Labels: