Falling Through Ceilings

Because sometimes 140 characters on Twitter just isn't enough.

Friday, 24 September 2010

Make your sirens call, sing all you want. I will not hear what you have to say.

Okay the time has come. I have packed my books, my alarm clock, my pants and all the other stuff I have. I'm moving out tomorrow.

I'm going to university! (don't laugh, I am clever sometimes*)

I'm looking forward to meeting people, I genuinely am, it's just that.. well, I get a little annoyed with the people that I have already added on facebook. Not because of what they're saying or doing, that's fine. There's two reasons:

1) My immediate thought is "Who the flippertygibbet-on-a-stick are you??" Because of course if I don't know you at all, I have no interest whatsoever in whether you like this or that song, or feeling really rough because you got completely trousered last night. It always takes me a moment to remember how I am in anyway connected to you before I can continue in my News Feed reading joys.

2) If you write something funny, or something in anyway amusing to me, where is the line? Okay, maybe I can click 'like', but often it's a bit weird. Mainly because I get the feeling that they must think exactly what I think when I see their names (See: Reason 1). Also, because I don't know this person, how do I know if that's funny or not? If Susie is famous for losing her watch all the time, and so has to buy cheap ones constantly, then it might be quite funny if she posts a status like "Lost my watch while I was actually looking at it. HOW?" On the other hand, if this watch was an expensive present from her recently deceased father, clicking the 'like' button seems less like a good idea.

Okay that's totally extreme, and that example in particular has never happened to me, but I have looked at something that a 'future friend' has written and had no idea how to react to it. Of course, the rule is that you don't respond in this case, but this situation just winds me up until I get very irritated by it and write a frustrated blog post.

Right I'm going before I write anything else.

Maybe I'll update you when I get there, but if we have a lesson to learn from Moldova it's that I probably won't for a while :P

Kisses.

*Sometimes. Okay, occasionally. I was on one occasion. I'm not revealing which.

Labels: , , ,