Falling Through Ceilings

Because sometimes 140 characters on Twitter just isn't enough.

Monday, 4 January 2010

Media Studies

My A-Level Media Studies lessons were mental. Well they seemed to be to me, especially at first.

They sat us in front of films about drugs and violence, and usually things that were 18 certificate. Then they got us to write many many essays about them, I suppose so that we could see why they were so amazing. I was sixteen, and very much unused to films of this kind. I went to a very middle class school and I was still watching Disney films on youtube.

But that's not really why they were so difficult for me to grasp.

We'd walk in, and the teacher would put on a film saying something like "This is one of the best films you are likely to see in your life." We'd all get hopeful and then it would start. Get your popcorn ready, it's 10 minutes long (also there is swearing, this is one of those films after all):



And then it would end and they'd say "Wasn't that just the most brilliant thing you've ever seen in your life??"

Now this one in particular came up on my suggested videos section on youtube and watching it REALLY reminded me of my A Levels, partly because we did actually watch it, but also because you just get to the end and think "...what?!"

It was ages before I really understood what made my Media teachers obsess over these weird films. Now I'm slowly starting to understand I suppose, but I'd still rather watch Mulan any day.

Maybe that's why I got a D haha :P

Labels: , , , , , ,